Sewage Treatment Plants – also known as package sewage treatment plants are more sophisticated than a septic tank, they are roughly the same size but there are a few key factors you should know about which are listed below:
- Sewage treatment plants cost more (approx 2.5x) than septic tanks
- Can outlet to surface water drains and water-courses (with EA approval)
- No need for an expensive drainfield or soakaway usually
- Treat sewage fully, unlike septic tanks
- Require an electric power feed (approx 80W for a 3-bed house)
- MUST have EN12566 – Part 3 Certification
- Require Consent to Discharge (usually free) from the EA
- Two main types, mechanical aeration (rotating disc) and air-blowers
- Bacteria in the tank require oxygen to process sludge
- 95% of material entering the tank exits the tank, just the sludge is collected
- Require emptying annually usually
- Suitable for 6 to 300 people
- Running costs approx. £400pa for de-sludging, a service and power for a three bed-house
These systems require an electricity supply to power a small compressor or motor to help circulation.
An annual service is absolutely essential to ensure efficient operation and prevent major problems. We offer a cost-effective annual service that will keep your plant running smoothly all year round.